Saturday, June 24, 2006

What is this Anyway?


Welcome!

This blog is all about the quality of AC power that reaches our homes, and what audiophiles and videophiles can do about it.

For a complete discussion on power conditioners, go to an article I wrote years ago, here: PQLTD.COM Power Conditioning. You may have seen articles which have a similar structure or wording. As far as I know, my article came first.

What makes this blog special? First, what I'm doing is dangerous. Unlike your average reviewer of power conditioners, who sits in a posh air conditioned room, surrounded by thousands of dollars of audio equipment he didn't pay for, sipping wine and listening to his boundless collection of CD's, I will risk life and limb in each posting. I'm actually going to be connecting the AC power to my laptop through a specially designed buffer. I'm going from the AC power to my laptop with no more than a couple of resistors, film caps and an op-amp in between. Oh, did I mention I don't actually know that much about what I'm doing? That's right, it's all an experiment. Just think of a hill-billy strapping a rocket to the top of his Ford F-150 and you'll get the idea.

Second, I am not going to listen to the conditioners. In a world where stones and cable lifters are being used to tune systems to the "heights of realism" in high end audio systems, I think it would be too easy for me to ascribe a quality to the sound of a power conditioner which it doesn't have. The other problem is that honestly, the better your equipment's power supplies, the less effect a power conditioner will have.

More in my next post!

Cheers,

Erik

No comments:

Post a Comment