Friday, August 4, 2006

It's alive!

Ok, this is just incredibly exciting! :) I assembled all of one board except for the storage caps which are still en-route, used some component leads I had lying around (suddenly I have LOTS of them) for temporary test points, and hooked it up with jumpers to the PV-10s power supply.

Check out the reading on the Fluke next to it, 330 Volts!!! Perfect! Not bad considering I layed out the PCB from scratch, huh?

I'm going to try to finish assembling the other board tonight, and if I have time test it. I probably have another week before the storage caps arrive in the mail, so between now and then I have to figure out a way to mount these boards so that they don't short something and without ruining the underlying phonograph stage layout.

Do you see that large fiberglass "plate" held on by four black screws? Underneath that are all the holes and traces for the phonograph stage. If you had paid another $200 those holes would be filled with the actual parts. For some strange reason, the underlying B+ is still hot. I say strange because Conrad Johnson had to add a jumper in order to make it hot, when they could have just omitted the jumper, and avoided the trouble of putting this cosmetic cover on altogether. Well, who knows what they were thinking. But you'll see how this will work to my advantage in future postings. Stay tuned! Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment