Sunday, October 8, 2006

Tandberg PS - Fantasy Land

Ok, I take it back. There are some major upgrades I would do to the power supply if money were no object:

  • Double the output transistors used for the 25V and the 15V outputs. This means Q805 and Q811. I haven't done all the math yet, but I think I should be able to keep the original design, without having to entirely redesign the section before.
  • Add around 600uF of storage right before these transistors.
  • Possibly add around 250uF of storage after them.

The benefits would be:
  • Cut the power dissipation in half for each transistor,
  • Adding significant heat sink radiating area,
  • Decreasing the output impedance of the power supply
  • Huge increase in the dynamic current output of this stage.
Having the 1000uF storage cap 1R2 away from the output transistors is just sad. And having no capacitance on the output is also kind of sad. Admitedly, the boards that this goes to all have their own filtering, but at least some polyester film caps on the outputs, if not some more serious filtering would not kill anyone. I'm really kind of impressed that this tuner achieved what it did with such limited power supply capacitance, but this explains a lot of the inductors being used as power supply filters as well.

"But isn't this overkill?" the weak would ask, and we'd say "hell yes!"

Perhaps there is a way to do this with the original, without throwing out the original, either by modding the existing board, or perhaps creating a small upgrade board like I did with the PV-Erik, allowing you to retrofit it. Hmmmmm, I'll think about this as I'm removing caps.

No comments:

Post a Comment