Sunday, November 19, 2006

Coming up Next: The Rega EAR

Gentle Reader,

I have purchased a Rega EAR headphone amplifier for use in my ever evolving home office system. It's gotten great reviews among the head can users plus I got it at a steep discount for being sitting too long as the demo unit at a local headphone store. Don't let that fool you though, most of the other one's disapeared quickly.

Over the next few days I'll be evaluating it against my reference standard headphone amp, a vintage Sumo Athena, as well as the direct outputs of my Creative Zen 2.0 driving my AKG 240 600 Ohm cans as well as the Shure E4C's.

I have to tell you, construction wise, I think it's very little product for the money. $299 new is a lot of change to put down on a circuit board with so few parts, that uses an off the shelf wall wart as it's primary supply. I'll be posting pictures of the insides, and recommended upgrades as I go along, if I think it's worth it.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment