Sunday, November 12, 2006

Man, Just how many Transistors Can you Replace?

It's been hard going here folks. The 25V supply is not showing me any love, but I am getting closer. The most likely problem I'm having is the darlington arrangement. The T0-92 which drives the TO-220 shorted, and at some point the brand new 6.8V zener I put in also smoked.

I have found upgrades for most of the NPN and PNP transistors used, usually just an improvement in the voltage rating. This may not sound like anything useful, but actually, since I don't have a load on the power supply, the voltage after the bridge rectifiers is unusually hot. Higher voltage transistors, and a higher wattage zener will help me keep the thing alive longer until I can put it back into the tuner.

After this, it's back to the 5V supply. Which is basically where I was a month ago. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment