Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Things We Do for Love


When you are looking at a mid-80s piece of gear the first thing you have to look at are the power supply filter caps, like the one's I pulled out of the Yammie yesterday.

They are in pretty good shape, and will probably last a while longer, but let's face it, these caps are 20 years old. They aren't fresh anymore, and if they go, you risk loosing everything else in the component. As it turns out, the Yamaha, Sumo Polaris and other amplifiers from this era shared the same filter caps.

Today, unfortunately, these caps are extremely difficult to come by. What makes them so special is the 80V rating. You can buy 15,000uF 100V caps right off the shelf, without any problem however they tend to be 120mm long. About 30 mm longer than the originals. The only manufacturer I could find that still makes them is Nippon Chemi-Con, so as a result of this it looks like I'm going to be forced to purchase a small lot of them, and then try to resell any I don't use. Not exactly how I planned on making extra cash this year.

However, if you find yourself in the same boat as I am, and need these caps, send me a yell, I'll be happy to sell you what I don't use. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment