Friday, February 1, 2013

Theta Digital - Slow and Steady Progress

I won't say that Theta is roaring back, but it is clear that they are making slow but steady progress over the past two years.

Theta finally introduced their HDMI solution for the Theta Casablanca, a modified Oppo Blu Ray player, new digital amplifiers, and have been showing what I would call the successor to the Casanova, the Supernova.  Think of the Casanova with HDMI and more balanced outputs.  If it sounds as good as the original, it's worth the price, regardless of room eq features.

A picture with article may be found here:  http://www.hometheater.com/content/more-theta-supernova

The choice to go away from contrasting buttons is a good thing, and if the screen can be completely turned off it really is an upgrade in looks.  While Home Theater mentions the desire for room correction, honestly it's not that big a deal for me.  I'd much rather have an Android remote, and/or network streaming built in.  I've spent a lot of time and effort getting my speakers to sound the way they do, so I'd really rather not fuss with eq's, of any sort, except if I had a subwoofer.  Otherwise, an Android remote would be fantastic.

For those who haven't been reading, I have recently gone from an Emotiva HDMI processor to the Theta Casanova after a listening session with Jazz inclined but not audiophile friends.  With low impedance amps, there was just no contest.  I'd rather listen to BluRay in DD 5.1 and have great music than have mediocre music and movie sound in my setup.

Nigel

No comments:

Post a Comment