Saturday, April 27, 2013

Goodbye Fedora 18

When Alan Cox called Fedora 18 the worst Linux distro ever I thought he was being a little dramatic, and just happened to run into installation woes unique to his system and needs.

A month into running Fedora 18 on my laptop and desktop, I have to say, Fedora 18 may not have been the worst distro ever in January, but by March it was well on it's way. 

The biggest issue for me is the amazing number of kernel updates which are coming down the pipeline, often breaking my system.  The idea of "rawhide" being the bleeding edge and the rest of Fedora 18 being stable and secure has been completely forgotten.  For the past two months I have had no more than 2 weeks without a new kernel release, and sometimes 2 a week.  It's simply not possible to keep a distro reliable with that level of changes going into the mainline. 

At some recent point, my hard won battle to use the proprietary ATI drivers so I could game and work broke down completely.  

What  am I going to?  Ubuntu for now, though I hear the rumblings about Canonical and developers being out of sync in terms of who the community and who the driving elements should be.   With a nine month upgrade cycle and 2 year LTS versions I am willing to forego getting the latest MySQL DB or MariaDB, Apache releases, etc. for a stable system with good support for games, music management and an up to date Eclipse system, even if it has a crazy ass web-search oriented desktop and a package installer I do not like as much. 

Goodbye Fedora.  Call me when you figure out what good you are besides a place to crowdsource the testing of new kernel patches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment