Thursday, December 5, 2013

Flatware Cleanliness Test

Have you ever gone to a "high end" restaurant only to be served with dirty flatware?  Isn't it a huge disappointment?  I have.  Last time it was a high-end Chinese-like chain restaurant.   The chopsticks I received had particles of food on them you could scratch off with a fingernail.    Ugh!!

I've also been to places where several sets of flatware looked clean but were still dirty.  Maybe I was pickier than most, but I could feel the greasiness on my fingers.  How could others not notice?

So, here's a test, and if you are a kitchen manager I highly encourage you to try it.  Take two identical pieces of flatware.  Take a paper towel to one of them and rub it as clean as you can.  With clean, dry hands feel both of them.  If the one you did not clean off feels slick, but the one you cleaned feels tacky you still have plenty of oil and grease left on the flatware.   Clean flatware should not feel slick.

I should add of course, this is not meant to be a substitute for adhering to industry  best practices and regulations, or biochemical analysis and regular inspections.   It is meant to help diners, washers and kitchen pro's see something they might have missed otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment