Monday, February 25, 2008

Modding the Resmed S8 CPAP Machine

Finally, after several overnight studies in two different sleep labs, my doctors have prescribed me a C-PAP machine. Basically, it's a bed snorkel. The mask provides pressurized air to your airways while you sleep, reducing the number of times your airways collapse and try to choke you. Now, if you just died in the middle of the night, this wouldn't be so bad. I mean, it's just death, but what actually happens is that your brain, for some odd reason, realizes you are choking, and wakes you up, so you semi-consciously start breathing again. If this happens frequently enough, instead of dying peacefully in your sleep, you wake up feeling like sleeping is very hard work. In other words, barely rested.

So, enter the CPAP machine. Keep your airways full of air, and you don't wake up before choking to death. In fact, you don't choke much at all. No dying, no waking. Just nice even sleep.

The one major problem I see with almost all CPAP machines being sold today, and the Resmed in particular, is that they really are not designed to be all that quiet, but more importantly for allergy sufferers, the filtration really stinks. They fit this tiny bit of polyester fluff in at the entrance of the machine, which basically won't filter out anything but big tufts of cat hair. Everything else in your room, you will breathe, at high pressure. Not a great way to spend the night. They do make in-line filters, but these have a chance of tricking the pressure meters into thinkign your air pressure is higher than it is. It really would have been oh so very easy for Resmed to put in a HEPA filter on the inake.

I should have taken a picture of the intake before I cleaned it for you to see. It was really dirty. Also, instead of providing you with a place to put an intake filter, or at least a place to attach one to, Remsed instead has an opening that makes it almost impossible to attach anything useful to the intake, like for instance, a muffler, or a HEPA filter. Very frustrating. And on top of everything else, my MD prescribed this particular model. Mind you, it works very well, and I understand it's very reliable, and small and portable and the integrated humidifier is pretty sweet, but they are like morticians. They really don't want you shopping around for the best casket, they want you to buy the one they tell you to buy.

So, what is a hacker like me to do? Well, it turns out that in the woodworking and industrial worlds they make these huge dust collection/air cleaning systems. Often a professional mill work or woodworking shop, and sometimes advanced hobbyists, will have large dust collectors with 4-6" ducts running around their shop, sucking up all the wood chips and keeping the shop clean and the air breathable as the craftspeople work. The air gets expelled in a variety of ways, including through these long polyester felt tubes, at the bottom of which is usually a trash bin of some sort. Anyway, the point is, the polyester felt used in these bags normally filters materials down to 1 micron, and after getting nice and packed with wood dust, they get even better, filtering down to 0.3 microns, or about. Not quite HEPA standards (0.3 microns all the time) but MUCH better than what Resmed provides.

So, my solution? Purchase a bag from Oneida Air , cut out just enough filter media to cover the intake, duct tape it in place, and voila, suddenly I can breathe easier at night. :) I've tried it at least one night, and it worked fine, with no apparent change in performance of the CPAP machine. If I was really clever, what I would do is measure the amperage while it runs to see if there's a difference in strain on the air pump with and without the felt, bur right now, my work and school are taking up too much of my time. If I had more time I would have created a felt "pocket" so that I could increase the surface area of the filter. In the next incarnation this is probably what I will do, though honestly it's hard to tell it needs it.

12 comments:

  1. I am interested in Hepa filtration of my resmed as well. I'm going to take a look at the machine to see what I can come up with. My first thought is an external large Hepa filter connected to the intake with a hose. The large filter will minimize air restriction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CP!

    Yes, from my own experiments though, the motor in the S8 doesn't have a lot of horsepower, if you do add an external filter, give it massive amounts of surface area. What I think would be ideal is a night stand with filter media on 4 sides, with a hole for the AC cable and the air hose. Any little obstruction externally will cuase a drop in pressure that your lungs will have to work against.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve

    I do wish ResMed would create a true HEPA filtered system. I know that your company is promoting an additional heavy filter at the intake, but it seems more like a marketing thing.

    Even vacuum cleaners offer HEPA filtration, and they aren't meant for blowing air directly into your nose and mouth.

    HEPA filtration for me is more important than a bit more noise from a more powerful motor.

    Nigel,
    that's an interesting idea you have. I wonder though, for effective filtration, is some air resistance required? Maybe not, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi CP,

    For effective filtration you need small holes, which causes severe pressure differential on either side of the filter media. You can overcome the air resistance by increasing surface area to the point where the air resistance becomes meaningless. This is why a lot of air filters in cars and other devices are pleated. You get a lot more surface area in the same form factor.

    I can tell you that this is a serious issue with all of these small CPAP machines though. They frankly suck at maintaining air pressure through a breath. With the S8 the humidifier makes it MUCH harder for me to get a full breath of air in, so I leave it off and add a room humidifier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ive been running inline hepa filters on my S8 for years. the only pain in the retro fit was the sloping angle of the current filter hole. after a couple of shots in the wood shop i came up with a nice little oak chunk that fits the Resmed's hole and the ass end of one of the inline hepa filters. no more dust.. my allergies actually get better when i have my pap on now. =) bump your pressure up about .5 and away you go. machine will last longer not having that dust in there away. i really dont even know why they put current filter on the machine. it is completely worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Blog I am sure will be helpful for many and solving problem of snoring for others. Keep it up best sleep apnea machine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your blog and found the effective and highly productive ideas about respironics cpap machines ....thanks
    fisher & paykel cpap

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is what i am looking for ........really you made my day.
    Breathing machine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much obliged to you for setting aside an ideal opportunity to distribute this data extremely valuable! types of cpap masks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have a resumed C-pap and the filter system on it is worthless for several reasons. The card slot fits so poorly that dirt and cat hair gets sucked into the machine( I have two cats)through the card slot. I have removed enough hair from the card slot to stuff a stuffed animal. Also the filter Media that is designed for it fits so loosely that large particles are able to work their way past the media along the edges. I wind up with dirt in the water tank all the time.y C-pap sits on the floor next to the bed and the furnace vent is under the bed, plus I run a curling fan year round. All that are keeps particles suspended on the air to be sucked into the C-pap. You would think a C-pap company that has electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic engineers could design a product that would filter the air effectively. My resume C-pap doest blow it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can buy a Kenmore type Q/C Hepa canister Vacuum bag from Amazon, 6 for $17.98. They are 18X10X3". Glue some popsicle sticks to the outside to keep it opened. Then jimmy-rig a tube from your CPAP intake to the hole in the bag, perhaps by sealing the big hole and cutting, then taping/gluing the tube into the paper part of the bag. May not be pretty. But if it can handle the flow from a vacuum cleaner, it will create little inflow resistance. It's cheap, and each one will last a long time. Just like me:cheap and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great stuff! I am retired Military and also get my CPAP from VA. recently they gave me a new Airsense 10 and the first thing I noticed was that the filter was just a rag. I also have allergies and my old resmed did have HEPA filters and a foam to hold it in place. after 2 weeks it would be approaching black and had to be changed. with my new machine I notice an increase in Allergic symptoms, where I used to get the best air of my day at night while on the machine.I will also experiment with off the shelf HEPA devices.
    Respectfully,
    T. Carlisle

    ReplyDelete