Thursday, October 19, 2006

Digital Camera Cases

Since my GF has adopted my old digital camera, I bought a new one, and then I went out shopping for a camera cover for it.

I have come to the conclusion that there really is no such thing as a good one.

I bought a Tamrac Neo, which I guess means it's made of neoprene, that stretchy fabric they use in wet suites. I have to tell you all, that it's not designed to protect the camera from anything but dust, scratches and mild finger taps. There is no real cushioning in the case at all. It's just stretchy fabric. I also bought a little case for my Pentax Optio. It fell off the strap of my back pack as I was walking to the train, and it has never been the same since. There was almost no padding in that one either.

So, seriously, Tamrac, what are you, and all your competitors thinking? I can't beleive that it's all that difficult to put some foam, something, anything mroe in these cases. Even shock absorbing jell.

On top of all this, the neo case is actually made much bigger than it needs to be by the ultra wide back which the neoprene is sewn onto. I can but hope that some industrious Chinese textile mill will read this and start producing genuinely protective portable case for digitals.

No comments:

Post a Comment